About professional training
The Alzheimer's Association is committed to helping professionals improve their knowledge and skills, build stronger teams and deliver better care to people with dementia and their families. Our training and education programs are geared to professionals working in both community-based and residential care settings.
Our programs and meetings have been attended by activity professionals, administrators, nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, social workers and staff trainers. Many of our programs offer continuing education.
CARES®CARES online training, developed collaboratively by the Alzheimer's Association and HealthCare Interactive®, is a person-centered, easy-to-remember approach to caring for an individual with dementia at any stage of the disease. The CARES training modules use a wide variety of interactive techniques, featuring demonstrations by real CNAs and staff members working with actual people living with dementia. CEUs are available for CARES Dementia Basics & Advanced Care online training.
- A cost-effective, efficient way to help all staff meet the Section 6121 requirement of the Affordable Care Act, as recommended by CMS.
- A high-quality engaging training and certification program, brought to you by two leaders in the field of Alzheimer's disease and dementia: the Alzheimer's Association and HealthCare Interactive.
- A way to provide training to rural members, allowing these individuals to meet state training requirements after taking an award-winning nationally recognized program.
- An effective alternative to train members at any time, regardless of setting or profession, including direct care staff — Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), nurses, social workers, administrators — while also offering valuable information for other employees — receptionists and dietary, laundry, housekeeping, transportation and security staff.
- A recognition program to encourage members to join the more than 70,000 care professionals across the country who have been trained in CARES, demonstrating their commitment to person-centered, high-quality care.
“Test drive” CARES online training for free at hcinteractive.com/TestDriveCares.
Current online training programs
- HealthCare Interactive, Inc.® CARES® Dementia Basics™ with Alzheimer's Association essentiALZ® certification
The training is four modules, four hours and offers care providers the core information needed for providing quality dementia care. Modules include an Introduction to Person-Centered Care, Introduction to Dementia and Thinking Decline, Understanding Behavior as Communication and the CARES® Approach to Dementia Care. Upon completion of CARES® Dementia Basics, earn recognition for your specialized knowledge of Alzheimer's care by completing and passing the Alzheimer's Association essentiALZ exam.
HealthCare Interactive, Inc.® CARES® Dementia Advanced Care™ with Alzheimer's Association essentiALZ® Plus certification
The training is six modules, six hours and provides care providers with specialized information on dementia care. Modules include Making a Connection, Eating Well, Recognizing Pain, Minimizing Falls, Rethinking Wandering, and Minimizing and Eliminating Restraints. Upon completion of CARES® Dementia Advanced Care, earn recognition for your specialized knowledge of Alzheimer's care by completing and passing the Alzheimer’s Association essentiALZ Plus Dementia Advanced Care exam.
- HealthCare Interactive, Inc.® CARES® Dementia-Related Behavior™ with Alzheimer’s Association essentiALZ® Plus certification
The training is four modules, four hours and provides care providers with specialized information on dementia care. Modules include Introduction to Dementia-Related Behavior, Using the CARES® Approach with Dementia-Related Behavior, Breaking Down the CARES Approach for Dementia-Related Behavior and Key Responses to Dementia-Related Behavior. Upon completion of CARES® Dementia-Related Behavior, earn recognition for your specialized knowledge of Alzheimer's care by completing and passing the Alzheimer's Association essentiALZ Plus Dementia-Related Behavior certification exam.
- HealthCare Interactive, Inc.® CARES® Activities of Daily Living™ with Alzheimer’s Association essentiALZ® Plus certification
The training is 10 modules, 10 hours and provides care providers with specialized information on dementia care. Modules include Dementia and the CARES® Approach, Creating Meaning in Activities of Daily Living, Recognizing and managing Pain, Bathing, Dressing, Grooming, Mouth care, Using the Bathroom and Mobility. Upon completion of CARES® Activities of Daily Living, earn recognition for your specialized knowledge of Alzheimer's care by completing and passing the Alzheimer's Association essentiALZ Plus Activities of Daily Living exam.
- HealthCare Interactive, Inc.® Dementia Care For Families™
This training is three modules, three hours. It was developed for family members or friends caring for a loved one with memory loss or dementia. It's rich with activities and video interviews with family caregivers, people with dementia and dementia experts who openly and honestly share their insights about and struggles with the disease. Like our products designed for professionals, this program centers around the CARES® Approach, an effective, person-centered approach to caring for any individual with memory loss or dementia. The program offers many practical strategies to common caregiving concerns.
For convenience, purchase and completion of the CARES online training provides immediate access to the appropriate essentiALZ exam at no additional cost. Prices start at $24.95/per person and site licenses are available.
Ministering to Spiritual Needs in the World of Dementia
Topic: Overview of Alzheimer’s and related dementias, overview of the caregiver experience, ways to incorporate spirituality in the experiences of persons with dementia and their caregivers
Length: 1-4 hours
Recommended Audiences: Clergy professionals, Lay Ministers, Chaplains, Visitation Ministers
Alzheimer’s Disease and Down’s Syndrome
Topic: How Alzheimer’s can interact with a developmental disability and care techniques
Length: 1.5 hours
Recommended Audiences: Developmental disability professionals
To learn more about upcoming presentations or to schedule a program at your site or facility contact Carolyn Lake at 330.650.0552 or email@example.com.