Training & Resources
Find your local Chapter
Care Training Resources
Being a caregiver doesn't come with an instruction manual, but there are resources available to help. Use the trainings, workshops, books and DVDs on this page to gain caregiving skills and practical advice.
This online program offers individual training in dementia care, from HealthCare Interactive, Inc., as well as individual certification by the Alzheimer's Association to recognize those who complete the program and demonstrate knowledge of quality dementia care practices. Both family members and professional care providers can benefit.
- essentiALZ Dementia Basics: This certification can be earned after taking the approved prerequisite training, CARES® Dementia Basics (4 hours). The essentiALZ Dementia Basic exam covers the basics of Alzheimer’s and dementia care, understanding behavior, communication and person-centered care. Starting at $24.95.
About essentiALZ Plus:
- essentiALZ plus Dementia Advanced Care: This certification can be earned after taking the approved prerequisite training, CARES® Dementia Basics (4 hours), CARES® Plus Dementia Advanced Care (6 hours) and the essentiALZ exam. The essentiALZ Plus Dementia Advanced Care certification exam covers basics of Alzheimer's and dementia care, understanding behavior, communication, person-centered care, making a connection, eating well, recognizing pain, minimizing falls, wandering and minimizing the use of restraints. Starting at $39.95.
- essentiALZ plus Dementia-Related Behavior: This certification can be earned after taking the approved prerequisite training, CARES® Dementia Basics (4 hours), CARES® Dementia-Related Behavior (4 hours) and the essentiALZ exam. The essentiALZ Plus Dementia-Related Behavior certification exam covers an introduction to dementia-related behaviors using the CARES® Approach to dementia-related behaviors, breaking down the CARES® approach and key responses to dementia-related behavior. Starting at $24.95.
- essentiALZ plus Activities of Daily Living: This certification can be earned after taking the approved prerequisite training, CARES® Dementia Basics (4 hours), CARES® Activities of Daily Living (10 hours) and the essentiALZ exam. The essentiALZ Plus Activities of Daily Living certification exam covers the basics and stages of Activities of Daily Living, eating, grooming, toileting, pain, wandering and transferring. Starting at $49.95.
- essentiALZ plus End-of-Life Dementia Care: This certification can be earned after taking the approved prerequisite training, CARES® Dementia Basics (4 hours), CARES® End-of-Life Dementia Care (5 hours) and the essentiALZ exam. The essentiALZ Plus End-of-Life Dementia Care certification exam covers an introduction to End-of-Life Dementia Care, using the CARES® Approach, decision marking at the End-of-Life, comfort care and emotional and spiritual support. Starting at $32.95.
CARES® Dementia Care for Families™
This three-hour online training, offered by HealthCare interactive and jointly developed with the Alzheimer's Association, was developed for family members caring for a loved one with memory loss or dementia. This program offers many practical and invaluable strategies to common caregiving situations. $29.95
Know the 10 Signs: Early Detection Matters
Learn the 10 Warning Signs of Alzheimer's disease, hear from people who have the disease, and find out how to recognize the signs in yourself and others.
The Basics: Memory Loss, Dementia and Alzheimer's
Learn about detection, causes, risk factors, stages and treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
Dementia Conversations: Driving, Doctor Visits, Legal & Financial Planning
Learn to have honest and caring conversations about common concerns when someone begins to show signs of dementia.
Effective Communication Strategies
Learn to decode the verbal and behavioral messages delivered by someone with dementia, and identify strategies to help you connect and communicate at each stage of the disease.
Healthy Living for Your Brain and Body: Tips from the Latest Research
Join us to learn about the latest research providing insights into how to make lifestyle choices that may help you keep your brain and body healthy as you age, and use hands-on tools to help you incorporate these recommendations into a plan for healthy aging.
Legal and Financial Planning for Alzheimer's Disease
The diagnosis of Alzheimer's makes planning for the future more important than ever. Through this interactive two-part program, you will learn about important legal and financial issues, how to put plans in place, and how to access resources near you.
Living with Alzheimer's for People with Alzheimer's
The diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease is life-changing and leads to many questions. In this three-part program, you will hear from others who have been where you are, and will learn what you need to know to navigate this chapter of your life.
Living with Alzheimer's: For Caregivers: Early Stage
In the early stage of Alzheimer’s disease, families face new questions as they adjust. This three-part program provides practical answers to the questions that arise in the early stage.
Living with Alzheimer's: For Caregivers: Middle Stage
In the middle stage of Alzheimer’s disease, care partners now become hands-on caregivers. During this three-part series, you will hear caregivers and professionals discuss helpful strategies to provide safe, effective and comfortable care.
Living with Alzheimer's: For Caregivers: Late Stage
In the late stage of Alzheimer’s disease, caregiving typically involves new ways of connecting and interacting with the person with the disease. In this two-part series, you’ll hear from caregivers and professionals about resources, monitoring care and ways to engage in meaningful connections.
Living with Alzheimer's for Younger-Onset Alzheimer's
This program offers answers to questions about younger-onset (also known as early-onset) Alzheimer’s disease. Hear from those directly affected and learn how to ease the impact throughout the course of the disease.
Understanding and Responding to Dementia-Related Behavior
Learn to about some of the common triggers for behaviors associated with dementia, how to assess the person’s needs, and how to intervene effectively.
Your local Alzheimer's Association may provide caregiver training classes and workshops. Contact your local office to learn about available programs.
Find my local Alzheimer's Association
The Savvy Caregiver 4-DVD Set for Families
This award-winning DVD series for families is designed to be watched once a week for four weeks. The Savvy curriculum has been shown in university research to reduce caregiver distress. It has also been praised by families nationally. Click the link for a free “Test Drive” of the program.