Memories in the Making® is an art program for persons in the early and middle stages of dementia. This program, under the guidance of an artist facilitator, offers individuals a means of self-expression through the process of painting and drawing. In this program, a person with diminished verbal and organizational skills can communicate using paints or pencil by recreating a memory on paper or canvas.
The art sessions are facilitated by an artist and assistant who have extensive art backgrounds and knowledge of dementing illnesses. Men and women from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia are eligible for this free program. Previous painting and drawing experience is not necessary.
- Click here to view artwork from participants in the Memories in the Making® program.
- Note Cards displaying artwork from Memories in the Making® participants are available for purchase. Click here for more information.
Art Programs at Open Community Sites
There is currently 1 community site for Memories in the Making® and Time for Caregivers. This site is open to individuals residing in the community and their caregivers. Click here for more information about the program.
- The Centennial Barn - Cincinnati (bordering Hartwell and Wyoming)
Art Programs at Participating Facility Sites
There are currently 13 participating facility sites for Memories in the Making®.
(Please note: The art programs at these sites are available only to residents and/or participants of the facilities listed below.)
- Active Day Center - Blue Ash
- Bridgeway Pointe - Hartwell
- Hyde Park Health Center - Oakley
- Mercy-Franciscan at West Park - Western Hills
- Mother Margaret Hall - Delhi
- Otterbein/Adult Day Center - Lebanon, Ohio (Warren County)
- Otterbein/Mathews Hall - Lebanon, Ohio (Warren County)
- Senior Independence Adult Day Service - Monroe, Ohio (Butler County)
- Senior Independence Adult Day Service - Franklin, Ohio (Warren County)
- U.S.S.A. Adult Day Center - Portsmouth, Ohio (Scioto County)
- Madonna Manor - Villa Hills, Ky. (Kenton County)
- Saint Charles Adult Day Health Program - Covington, Ky. (Kenton County)
- Sisters of Notre Dame - Park Hills, Ky. (Kenton County)
For more information about the Memories in the Making® program in the Greater Cincinnati area, contact Joan Hock at (513) 721-4284, ext. 104 or email email@example.com.
Memories in the Museum
Designed especially for visitors with memory loss and their guests, Memories in the Museum is a new program developed in partnership with the Alzheimer's Association of Greater Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Art Museum, the Contemporary Arts Center and the Taft Museum of Art. The program is held on the first Wednesday of every month. Participants join trained docents to view art, discuss observations and share their thoughts. Each program features a different theme and will be held from 10-11:30 a.m. Coffee and refreshments will be served. The programs are FREE but reservations are required.
For reservations, please Click here for the registration form or contact the Alzheimer's Association of Greater Cincinnati at 800-272-3900.
The Alzheimer's Association of Greater Cincinnati has been granted permission to use the Alzheimer’s Association - Orange County Chapter's registered trademark name Memories in the Making®.
Various programs and services of the Alzheimer's Association are funded in part by the Ohio Department of Aging through the Council on Aging of Southwestern Ohio and the Area Agency on Aging District 7, Inc. All services are provided without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, or ancestry.