There is far more work to be done than hands to do it. Whether your interests include advocating, facilitating a support group or planning parties or events- we need your help! We are most interested in finding rewarding ways for you to get involved which meet your abilities, aptitudes and schedule.
Volunteers are required to attend a one-hour orientation prior to volunteering. Additional training is provided for each job. Please contact the Alzheimer's Association East Central Iowa Chapter at 1.800.272.3900 for more infromation and application materials. Volunteer orientations occur on the 1st Wednesday of each month at 12:00p.m. in person or by teleconference. Below is an overview of some opportunities for you to consider.
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Health Fair Volunteers
- Positively represent the Alzheimer’s Association at health and wellness events to distribute materials, educate the community about programs and services and recruit volunteers.
- Assist with general office duties such as telephone, data entry, mailings, record keeping, and other projects that are vital to the Association. Opportunities are available on an ongoing or on-call basis.
Public Policy Volunteers
- Passionately advocate on a state and federal level to raise awareness of Alzheimer’s disease as a public health issue.
- Assist in the implementation of advocacy strategies on a local and national level.
- Assist with marketing to support the promotion of Alzheimer’s Association events, programs and services (ie: post in church bulletins and community calendars, distribute brochures, hang posters, etc.).
- Encourage local businesses, clubs and organizations to show support by becoming a member of AEDA.
- Refer local families to the Alzheimer’s Association, if/when Alzheimer’s touches their lives, as the leading source of help and hope.
Support Group Facilitators/Co-Facilitators
- Guide discussion groups of approximately 5-10 caregivers to exchange useful information and share experiences. Groups meet at least once per month for 1 to 2 hours. Eight hour training provided and required annually.
Special Event Committee Volunteers
- Serve on one of the Alzheimer’s Association special event planning committees including the Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s™, Alzheimer’s Association Round to Remember™ Golf Classic, Alzheimer’s Association VOICE the VISION Rally, and Alzheimer’s Association Campus QUASH® at UNI.
- Provide office and outreach support in the planning and implementation of events.
Student “Street Team”
- Join us as we hit the streets to represent the Alzheimer’s Association at community events and large gatherings to raise awareness and enthusiasm for the fight against Alzheimer’s.
- We need friendly faces to help hand out freebies and distribute promotional materials to local businesses and organizations.