Conference & Training Calendar
Education Conferences for Families and Care Professionals
Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) available
‘A Day with Teepa Snow,’ A Conference for Families and Professionals
The Alzheimer’s Association, in partnership with Collabria Care and Senior Helpers, presents its eighth annual Napa Valley education conference entitled, 'A Day with Teepa Snow.' Teepa is one of the leading educators on dementia care. During this full-day conference, she will address practical ways to recognize the presence of Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia, as well as understand its progression and behaviors that affect caregiving. She will offer techniques on how to modify support, care and the environment in order to optimize care for the person with the diagnosis.
Friday, December 9, 2016
8:30 am to 4 pm
Napa Valley Performing Arts Center at Lincoln Theater
100 California Drive,
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED: Call 707.573.1210
Upcoming Care Academy Training:
Check in at 8:30 am
Course: 9 am – 5 pm (Lunch will be provided)
BEATTIE & AGHAZARIAN Law Firm
3443 Deer Park Drive
Stockton California 95219
Cost: $75/ person
Contact and Registration: Denise Davis, email@example.com, 916.930.9080
This comprehensive, full day training will cover:
• Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders
• Communication and the Influence on Staff Behavior
• Successful Strategies for Managing Difficult Behaviors
• Helping with Hygiene and Personal Care
• Sexuality and Intimacy in the Long Term Care Setting
• Creative Approaches to Activity Programming
Pre-registration required. Continuing education units available.
Train for Results
"Nov 2016 I just want to express my gratitude for a great class that your Professional Training Specialist provided at El Camino Hospital. All I heard was praise from all the attendees. Everyone thought that the class was amazing based on written and verbal feedback. The tips on communication and strategies on how to approach an individual with dementia are what the staff thought were valuable information for their practice. Everything that she taught could be translated at the bedside, which would benefit the patients and their significant others tremendously. What staff valued the most about the class was the role playing and the real-life situations that she described, which gave them a frame of reference. The use of the videos got raved reviews, as well. A nurse from the night shift approached me today and told me that she used the techniques she learned while interacting with a patient with frontotemporal lobe dementia. She said that her interventions worked, especially when the patient told her that he wanted to go home. She said that she was teaching her co–workers at night the strategies they can use on these patients. Thank you so much for a great class! The staff learned a lot from the class."
Mae Dizon, DNP, RN, NP, ANP-BC
Nurse Practitioner, NICHE Program
El Camino Hospital
The Alzheimer’s Care Academy™ is the premier training program in quality dementia care from the Alzheimer’s Association. Created from evidence-based research and field-tested, the Academy provides in-depth training in all key aspects of dementia care
- Targeted Audiences
- Sample Program
- Continuing Education Availability
- What is Alzheimer’s disease?
- Communication: how staff can influence the dementia resident
- Key ingredients for managing challenging behaviors
- Helping with hygiene and personal care
- Creative approaches to activity programming
- Enhancing mealtime
- Reducing pain
- Sexuality and Intimacy in the Long Term Care setting
- Medical issues in late stage dementia
- Connecting with the person in late stage dementia
- Touching the spirit; dealing with loss
- Special care needs in late stage dementia
- Call us about new offerings
The Alzheimer’s Care Academy™ builds upon our award-winning Training for Dignity™ curriculum. The Alzheimer’s Care Academy™ modules can be tailored to meet the needs of both the professional and paraprofessional staff person, and are coordinated to California state-mandated requirements for CNA, RCFE and nursing home staff. Training programs are offered onsite for facility staff (attendance up to 25), tailored to specific needs and schedule.
The comprehensive curriculum includes an initial 8 hours*, covering either:
Alzheimer's Care Academy 8 hour training includes all 7 topics:
Translation is available in Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese upon request.
Trainings are available as one initial 8-hour training, two 4-hour trainings, or three 2.5-hour trainings.
After the training, we offer a complementary 2 hour follow up training if requested within 4 months. You may pick and choose between any modules listed above, or from the modules below:
• Enhancing Mealtime: Awareness and Practice (2 Hour)
The Alzheimer’s Association is a licensed provider of continuing education in the following disciplines:
- Licensed Marriage Family Therapists (LMFT) and Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW). Approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (Provider #63035). Course meets the qualifications as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
- Department of Health Services CNA and HHA (Provider #NAC6329)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider #CEP12415) for Contact Hours
- Board of Nursing Home Administrator (Provider #CEP1546)
- Department of Social Services for RCFE Administrator (Provider #1000-205-740-2)
Quotes from participants:
“I loved this program—it’s one-stop shopping for direct care staff like me.”
“The facilitator was great. She taught me how to be patient and improve my listening skills.”
“I saw the task from another’s point of view.”
Competitive Prices, Flexible Session Plans
Contact Alzheimer's Association for a proposal 800-272-3900, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Alzheimer’s Association® essentiALZ®
Alzheimer’s Association® essentiALZ® is an online individual certification program that provides recognition for knowledge of quality dementia care practices.
The Alzheimer’s Association essentiALZ certification program combines approved dementia care training with Alzheimer’s Association online certification exams. EssentiALZ offers two levels of certification— essentiALZ and essentiALZ Plus.
The essentiALZ exam tests knowledge of evidence-based dementia care practices that are promoted in the nationally recognized Alzheimer’s Association Dementia Care Practice Recommendations and supported by more than 30 leading health and senior care organizations.
EssentiALZ Plus requires more in-depth knowledge of Alzheimer’s care techniques and specialties. Individuals must be certified in essentiALZ prior to taking any of the essentiALZ Plus exams.
Visit www.alz.org/essentialz to learn more.