For Persons in the Early Stages of Alzheimer's Disease or a Related Dementia and their Care Partners
Winter/Spring Group Now Forming!
Bedford Group begins
February 5, 2013
Fort Worth Group begins February 7, 2013
Call Gail Phills at 817-336-4949 for information about joining
One participant who was asked what he liked best about the Early Stage Support Group summed up the benefits of this group. He stated, "Everyone knows what it feels like when you come to the end of a sentence and can't remember what it was you wanted to say. The group keeps me from feeling like running to the corner to hide."
All potential participants of the Early Stage Support Group go through a screening process to determine eligibility. Individuals participating in the Early Stage Support Group should have the following list of characteristics.
- Have a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s or related dementia documented by physician.
- Are aware of the diagnosis
- Acknowledge, at least occaisonally, memory loss or confusion.
- Are able to express themselves and understand of others, even if there is some degree of difficulty with speech or word-finding
- Are able and willing to discuss feelings and experiences related to illness.
- Understand the purpose of support group, are interested and freely give consent to participate.
- Have a caregiver or someone willing to serve as a contact person for group facilitator.
- Mindy Bannister or Libby Connally in Abilene at 325.672.2907
- Gail Phills in Bedford and Fort Worth at 817.336.4949
- or you may call 800.272.3900 to be directed to your local office.