As many as half of people with Alzheimer's and other dementias have not been diagnosed.
- improves access to medical and support services
- provides an opportunity to make legal, financial and care plans while the affected individual is still capable
- may reduce health care costs by delaying placement in a nursing home
The Healthy Brain Initiative's goal is to have public health officials undertake efforts to educate the public and medical community about the warning signs of Alzheimer's disease and the benefits of early detection.
Three Things the Public Health Community Can Do Now on Early Detection
- Know the 10 Signs
- Medicare Annual Wellness Visit Fact Sheet
- Early Diagnosis: Value of Knowing Fact Sheet
- Pre-symptomatic Diagnosis
Alzheimer's Association TrialMatch®
Clinical trials help researchers test new ways to detect,
treat and prevent Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's Association's
TrialMatch® is a free service that matches people to clinical
studies based on their diagnosis, preferences and location.
Go to TrialMatch
For more information on Alzheimer's disease and public health, contact Catherine Morrison.