Watch WPRI Channel 12's Rhode Show interview of Jake Vinton, who was diagnosed in 2009 with early onset Alzheimer's and his wife, Karen Friend, a local Rhode Island couple dealing with the challenges of Alzheimer's disease.
June is Alzheimer's and Brain Awareness Month - Know the Facts, Get Involved, Your Brain Matters!
The Alzheimer's Association is launching for the first time ever Alzheimer's and Brain Awareness Month (ABAM) during June. Worldwide, there are 44 million people living with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, in the U.S. there are 5.4 million, and in Rhode Island there are 25, 000 people affected. Everyone who has a brain is at risk to develop Alzheimer's, but everyone can help fight it.
Now is the time to get involved. Together we can end Alzheimer's. Your local Alzheimer's Association Rhode Island Chapter is here to help. We are located at 245 Waterman Street, Suite 306, Providence, Rhode Island. For 25 years, the Rhode Island Chapter has been providing important services for families and health professionals. We are the resource in Rhode Island for information, education programs, training, free services for families, a 24/7 Helpline, 1-800-272-3900, and a website, www.alz.org/ri filled with information.
Share the Facts
• Alzheimer’s disease is a global epidemic
• Every 67 seconds someone develops Alzheimer’s disease in the United States
• There are 15,500,000 caregivers in the U.S.
• Alzheimer’s is the 6th leading cause of death
• Two-thirds of Americans with Alzheimer’s disease are women
• Women in their 60’s are 2 times more likely to develop Alzheimer’s over the rest of their life than breast cancer
• Alzheimer’s will cost the nation $214 billion
• There is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease or treatment to halt the progression.
Take Action, Get Involved
• Tell congress to increase funding for research
• Get inspired by joining a committee and be a Champion
• Join the Longest Day – visit alz.org/ri for our sports memorabilia auction
• Start a Walk Team for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s Sept. 21 in Newport Sept. 28 in Pawtucket
• Participate in one of our summer events – visit alz.org.ri
Your brain matters!
• Share your story
• Become an advocate
• Make a donation
How Can you Help? Take Action
A month of events - call 1-800-272-3900 or contact Bella Garcia at email@example.com
June 9th - Golf Tournament, Valley Country Club
June 11th - 6 to 8 p.m. Alex and Ani Shopping Night Wayland Square-Providence, Chapel View-Cranston, Main Street-East Greenwich - BIG SURPRISE
June 21st - The Longest Day - Rhode Island Chapter Sports Memorabilia Auction - visit alz.org/ri
June 26th - Alzheimer's Association Annual Meeting,Warwick Country Club
The Alzheimer's Association Rhode Island Chapter is proud to collaborate with Living Rite Centers. The Centers are grant-funded and coordinate services among Rhode Island communities. The overall goals are improving health, well-being and employment for individuals with Alzheimer's disease, dementia and one or more chronic condition while decreasing unnecessary emergency room care and allowing participants to continue to live in the least restrictive environment. For enrollment, contact the Alzheimer's Association at 1-800-272-3900 or online at www.alz.org/ri.