We offer several educational programs for families and individuals facing Alzheimer’s, as well as community members. These programs are free of charge, we host nearly monthly educational workshops in our office - but can bring any of these topics to your business, organization, church or community group. For more information call, 800.272.3900 or email, email@example.com.
The Basics of Alzheimer's
This program takes information on Alzheimer's disease into your workplace, community group or organization. We cover topics ranging from the basics of the disease, current research to caregiving tips.
- May 2, 2016 - 6 a.m. - Summersville, WV
- May 4, 2016 - 10 a.m. - Follansbee, WV
- May 6, 2016 - 1 p.m. - Charleston, WV
- June 6, 2015 - 12:15 p.m. - Pomeroy, OH
- July 19 - 12 p.m. - Morgantown, WV
- August 9, 2016 - 1 p.m. - Parkersburg, WV
- December 6, 2016 - 3 p.m. - Parkersburg, WV
Effective Communication Strategies
Communication is more than just talking and listening - it's also about sending and receiving messages through attitude, tone of voice, facial expressions and body language. As people with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias progress in their journey and the ability to use words is lost, families need new ways to connect. Learn to decode the verbal and behavioral messages delivered by someone with dementia, and identify strategies to help you connect and communicate at each stage of the disease.
- May 3, 2016 - 1 p.m. - Parkersburg, WV
- May 17, 2016 - 12 p.m. - Morgantown, WV
- August 9, 2016 - 11 a.m. - Charleston, WV
- September 20, 2016 - 2 p.m. - Parkersburg, WV
- December 20, 2016 - 12 p.m. - Morgantown, WV
Know the 10 Signs
Know the 10 Signs is a family education program that aims to increase awareness of the warning signs of Alzheimer's and the benefits of early detection and diagnosis.
- November 14, 2016 - 3 p.m. - Charleston, WV
- November 15, 2016 - 12 p.m. - Morgantown, WV
- November 15, 2016 - 1 p.m. - Parkersburg, WV
Dementia Conversations is an education workshop offered by the Alzheimer's Association for families facing a new diagnosis. This program offers helpful tips to assist families with difficult conversations related to dementia, including going to the doctor, deciding when to stop driving and making legal and financial plans.
Understanding & Responding to Dementia Related Behaviors
Behavior is a powerful form of communication and is one of the primary ways for people with dementia to communicate their needs and feelings as the ability to use language is lost. However, some behaviors can present real challenges for caregivers to manage. Join us to learn to decode behavioral messaging, identify common triggers, and learn strategies to help intervene with some of the most common behavioral challenges of Alzheimer's disease.
- May 9, 2016 - 1 p.m. - Marietta, OH
- July 12, 2016 - 1 p.m. - Parkersburg, WV
- July 12, 2016 - 2 p.m. - Charleston, WV
- October 6, 2016 - 4 p.m. - Charleston, WV
- October 11, 2016 - 2 p.m. - Parkersburg, WV
Healthy Living for Your Brain, Body, and Mind
This workshop discusses the reasons for taking care of yourself as you age and strategies to help age well in the areas of physical health and exercise, diet and nutrition, cognitive activity, and social engagement. During the workshop, participants will also have the opportunity to make their own plan for healthy aging.
- June 13, 2016 - 3 p.m. Charleston, WV
- June 14, 2016 - 3 p.m. - Parkersburg, WV
- June 14, 2016 - 4:30 p.m. - Morgantown, WV
What's New In Alzheimer's Research?
This workshop provides participants with the most up-to-date statistics, research and treatment strategies pertaining to science and brain health in regards to Alzheimer's and related dementias.
- September 22, 2016 - 12 p.m. - Charleston, WV
- October 18, 2016 - 12 p.m. - Morgantown, WV
Visit communityresourcefinder.org to find a workshop in your community!