Research only
All of
ALZ.ORG Research Center Alzheimer's Association International Conference ISTAART Journal Grants TrialMatch Press Donate Contact

Visa Information

The following information is available:

Non-U.S. residents may need a visa to enter the United States for AAIC 2015. If you already have a U.S. visa, check the expiration date to ensure your visa will not expire before or during your planned travel dates. Citizens of countries meeting the visa waiver criteria do not need a visa to enter the United States but if you prefer to have a visa in your passport, you may still apply for a Visitor "B" visa. The countries below participate in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):












South Korea, Republic of







The Netherlands




New Zealand


Czech Republic







United Kingdom



San Marino




Effective January 20, 2010, in order to travel without a visa on the VWP, you must have authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a U.S. bound carrier. ESTA is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) automated web-based system to determine eligibility to travel without a visa to the United States for tourism or business. Eligible citizens or nationals from all VWP countries must obtain approval through ESTA and an electronic passport prior to traveling to the United States. VWP travelers who have not obtained approval through ESTA should expect to be denied boarding on any air, land, or sea carrier bound for the United States. The Department of Homeland Security is enforcing the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) requirement for VWP travelers.

All ESTA registration applications or renewals on or after the date of September 8, 2010, will require a $14 fee. All visitors are required to register online before travel under the ESTA. Effective December 22, 2011, the ESTA application requires the traveler's country of birth information. This requirement applies to new applications filed on or after December 22, 2011. For more information regarding ESTA, or to apply for authorization to travel to the United States, visit the ESTA website.

All VWP travelers, regardless of age or type of passport used, must present a machine-readable passport. As of Oct. 26, 2006, any passport issued on or after this date by a VWP country must be an e-Passport, which includes an integrated computer chip capable of storing biographic information from the data page to be eligible to enter the U.S. without a visa. Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended between Oct. 26, 2005 and Oct. 26, 2006 must include digital photographs printed on the data page or integrated chips with biographic information from the data page. The Department of Homeland Security is enforcing this policy to the fullest extent. In addition, depending on when VWP travelers’ passports were issued, other passport requirements may apply. Visit the DOS website.

Citizens of Canada, Mexico and Bermuda

Citizens of Canada traveling to the United States do not require a nonimmigrant visa. Effective June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. are required to present a Canadian passport or an Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card. Pre-approved travelers can speed their entry into the U.S. under one of the Trusted Traveler Programs.

Mexican citizen visitors, including children, are required to present a passport with a nonimmigrant visa or border crossing card (BCC), known as a "laser visa" to cross the U.S border The Border Crossing Card, Form DSP-150 is a biometric, machine readable card that is a combined visitor B1-B2 visa/Border Crossing Card. This requirement applies to SENTRI program members as well.

Citizens of Bermuda traveling to the United States do not require a nonimmigrant visa for travel up to 180 days. Additionally, these citizens do not require a visa unless they are ineligible for a visa under U.S. immigration law or have previously violated the terms of their immigration status in the United States.

For more information on entry and visa requirements for citizens of Canada, Mexico and Bermuda, read about the DOS Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port of entry have the authority to permit or deny admission to the United States.

Obtaining a Visa – Letter of Invitation

After identifying that a visa is needed, foreign travelers should contact the U.S. Embassy Consular Section in their country to determine visa processing timeframes. Look for posted timeframes on the Internet or call the Consular Section to hear recorded information about visa processing timeframes. For up-to-date information, access the DOS website.

The Alzheimer’s Association recommends the following guidelines for obtaining a visa for entry into the United States:

As of Sept. 30, 2004, all foreign visitors (including VWP travelers) will be fingerprinted and photographed upon arrival in the United States. A visa applicant who refuses to be fingerprinted would have his or her visa application denied on the basis that it is incomplete. However, an applicant who then later decided to provide fingerprints would have his or her application re-considered without prejudice.

To request a Letter of Invitation please go to our website at and complete the online registration form. After you complete your registration, you will be able to print your invitation letter. The deadline for you to receive your Visa Invitations letter is May 29.

Join us for AAIC

Registration is still open for AAIC 2015 and there is still time to secure your spot. Be present when the latest breakthroughs in dementia science are revealed to the world.


Where the world reveals the latest dementia research • Register now