The Alzheimer's Association's National Organization in Chicago seeks a Director of Media Engagement. We are looking for a leader and team player who will educate our target audiences about Alzheimer's disease and engage them in activities of the Alzheimer's Association.. The Director should have both the ability to be strategic and proactively generate results. The ideal candidate will be able to craft strategies and execute media outreach on behalf of the Alzheimer's Association.
S/he must demonstrate a broad understanding of all facets of media relations and marketing communications, and be fearless when it comes to pitching media and building relationships on behalf of the Alzheimer's Association. The ideal candidate will be results oriented and have experience building a comprehensive and strategic approach to stories and working directly with journalists, from top-tier consumer media outlets to trades. An existing network of media contacts (print, online and broadcast) or demonstrated ability to build this network is ideal, as is a deep understanding of the media landscape.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
The Director of Media Engagement must possess excellent writing skills and be proficient in AP Style. In addition, s/he must have the ability to network and be organized, confident and professional. A demonstrated history of providing strategic counsel, developing and executing creative media programs; working cross functionally across communications disciplines is desirable.
S/he should have experience extending initiatives across traditional, online and social media platforms and should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. An ability to assess and understand complex situations and ability to synthesize and communicate complicated information for internal partners and media is helpful. In addition, s/he must be team-focused and demonstrate strong leadership qualities and experience managing team members. A long-standing track record of developing and executing successful media relations programs with an agency or as an industry practitioner is critical. In addition, s/he must have a history of effectively pitching stories via email and verbally to a variety of media targets (trade, local, national, TV, online, radio, blogs, etc.).
- Extensive understanding of media outreach assignments and ability to apply experience and initiative in developing appropriate traditional and online media strategies.
- Ability to generate creative ideas and successfully place stories in editorial media.
- Proactive self-starter with excellent organizational skills and the ability to adapt to change and meet deadlines.
- Ability to lead and manage multiple projects in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to strategically determine best use of resources, tools and tactics to achieve goals, along with superior research, writing and editorial skills.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to effectively create awareness about Alzheimer's.
- Success managing resources and budgets as well as external vendors/agencies.
- Must be well versed on media training and developing spokespeople, including experts and those impacted by the disease to raise awareness.
- History of providing guidance and support to an organizational network with local offices.
- Ability to supervise and coach junior staff on best practices by motivating, coaching and consistently providing feedback, as well as work and lead well in a team environment.
- Experience with crisis and issues management preferred.
- BA or BS in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related field from an accredited university of college.
- 8-10 years media and public relations experience at a management level.
- Ability to keep a flexible schedule that may include "non-traditional" hours.
- Experience in leading national media campaigns.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience managing outside vendors or agencies desired.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- 2+ years agency setting-related experience and/or training preferred.
- Ability to travel as needed(approximately 20%)
Click here to apply!
- by email:
- by mail:
Send resume to:
Alzheimer's Association, Home Office
225 N. Michigan Ave, Suite 1700
Chicago, IL 60601
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer
and we appreciate your interest in the Alzheimer's Association.