The Government Affairs Manager will provide support and leadership in developing, implementing and evaluating state public policy/advocacy efforts throughout Arizona, and work directly under the supervision of the Program & Advocacy Director of the Alzheimer's Association Desert Southwest Chapter. This position represents the Chapter before the state legislative, executive branches, city government, state agencies, and relevant committees in Arizona.
This position is located in Phoenix, Arizona and reports to the Program and Advocacy Director. This is a full-time position, 37.5 hours per week.
Essential Job Functions
- Support the Advocacy Director in managing the planning, coordination and implementation of Arizona state government affair strategies, including the drafting of bills, statements, letters and testimonies of the Alzheimer's Association's public policy efforts.
- Cultivate, engage, maintain and broaden relationships with state and city elected officials, government agencies, committees and community organizations in agreement with the Alzheimer's Association's state public policy priorities.
- Identify, analyze, track and disseminate information on state dementia related legislation in collaboration with the Chapter Advocacy Director and National Public Policy office.
- Serve as staff liaison at the state capitol. Monitor committee meetings and dementia-related actions during Arizona state legislative sessions and between.
- Plan and coordinate Arizona Alzheimer's Awareness Day at the state capitol.
- Assist the Advocacy Director in Recruiting, training, mobilizing and managing the Alzheimer's Association's Arizona state-level grassroots volunteer advocate program A.L.L. (Alzheimer's Legislative Leader).
- Maintain an organizational climate that attracts, motivates, supports and retains high quality staff and volunteers who are committed to providing supportive services to families. Provide supervision and training for assigned volunteers as needed.
- Ensure that National and Chapter policies, standards, and decisions for programs are implemented and maintained in the provision of services. Foster appropriate communication and positive relationships between the Association, staff, volunteers and the aging network.
- Build strong relationships with the Chapter Advocacy Director and National policy staff.
- Maintain ongoing working relationships with all legislative committees handling legislation impacting families living with Alzheimer's, and administrative staff of AZ Department of Health, county Public Health Departments providing services and programs to Alzheimer's families.
- Other duties as needed and appropriately assigned.