Alzheimer’s Association Free Training and Certification
About the course
The essentiALZ Training and Certification, bundled with essentiALZ Plus – Florida, which is free to Florida residents, is a no-cost, four-hour combined dementia training certificate program that meets state training requirements for long-term and community-based care settings. This includes staff working in hospice, nursing home, assisted living, home health and adult day centers.
Free access to this dementia certification online program is available through Project Vital, a grant from the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
To enroll in the free course, you will need to get a passcode to access the Alzheimer's training and certification. By clicking the link above, you attest that you are a paid professional working in a long-term or community-based care setting in the state of Florida.
Note: Participants must complete the Alzheimer's certification online program within 30 days of enrolling. The program takes approximately 4 hours to complete. You can save your progress and return to complete during those 30 days.
After completion of this dementia online training program, you will be contacted via email to complete a follow-up survey.
If you need assistance, or have additional questions please contact Katie Fahrenbruch at email@example.com or 850.696.0814.
To claim the credits you must:
1 Complete all six modules of the essentiALZ Training Program.
2. Pass the essentiALZ Certification Exam with a score of 90% or higher.
3. Complete the post Survey activity.
4. Select the Claim Credit activity and choose your credit category.
5. Select the Print Statement of Credit to view a copy of your certificate.
6. Enter your license or registration information and credentials as necessary.
7. Download, then save or print your certificate to share with the appropriate accrediting body.
The credit guide (PDF) contains the full accreditation statement, learning objectives, and instructions to claim your credit.
About the course
This training program was developed with evidence from the Alzheimer’s Association Dementia Care Practice Recommendations and includes the following topics:
● Basics of Alzheimer’s and Dementia
● Person-Centered Care
● Assessment and Care Planning
● Supporting Activities of Daily Living
● Communication Challenges and Dementia-Related Behavior
● Effective Verbal and Nonverbal Communication Strategies
● Meaningful Engagement and Activities
● Creating a Supportive and Therapeutic Environment
● Addressing Family Needs
● Caring for Yourself
● Ethical Issues
It is designed for staff working in hospice, nursing home, assisted living, home health and adult day centers.
This dementia certification online program also includes access to the essentiALZ certification exam, which demonstrates knowledge of quality care dementia practices. Professional care workers who pass the exam are certified in essentiALZ for two years.
Continuing Education Credit
Professionals who complete the training and certification can claim (3) Continuing Nursing Education credit(s), and/or (3) continuing education credits for Social Work, Physical Therapy, Psychology Occupational Therapy and Nutrition/Dietitian at no additional charge.
The essentiALZ Plus - Florida training program has been approved by the Department of Elder Affairs and is in compliance with 400.1755 FS. and rules 58A-4.001 and 58A-4.002 for Nursing Homes.
Approved curricula for nursing home also meet requirements for Home Health Care, Hospice, Adult Day Care, and ALF Level 1