The Alzheimer's Association Michigan Chapter has announced its free virtual support groups, education programs and social engagement programs for August.
“Persons with dementia, their caregivers and all those impacted by dementia need our help and support now more than ever,” said Jean Barnas, Alzheimer’s Association program services director. “Our groups, programs and events offer emotional support, provide much-needed information about memory loss and dementia, and — thanks to wonderful partners such as the Detroit Zoo, Detroit Institute of Arts and The Henry Ford — help persons with dementia and their care partners find ways to remain socially active.”
Upcoming groups, programs and events are listed below. All programs are free and open to the public. Registration is required by calling 800.272.3900 or visiting alz.org/gmc/virtual
- Early Stage Virtual Support Group (Metro Detroit) - Aug. 4 at 1 p.m., Aug. 11 at 1 p.m., Aug. 18 at 1 p.m., Aug. 25 at 1 p.m.
- Younger Onset Caregiver Support Group (Metro Detroit) - Aug. 12 at 5:30 p.m., Aug. 26 at 5:30 p.m.
- Caregiver Virtual/Dial-In Support Group (Open to all of Michigan) - Aug. 14 at 1:30 p.m., Aug. 18 at 5 p.m. and Aug. 27 at 7 p.m.
Social Engagement Programs
- Living with Alzheimer’s: For Caregivers- Middle Stage - Part 1: Aug. 3 at 1 p.m., Part 2: Aug. 5 at 1 p.m., Part 3: Aug. 7 at 1 p.m.
- Understanding Alzheimer’s and Dementia - Aug. 4 at 10 a.m. and Aug. 24 at 10 a.m.
- Healthy Living for Your Brain and Body: Tips from the Latest Research – Aug. 6 at 12 p.m. and Aug. 20 at 6 p.m.
- Effective Communication Strategies: Aug. 10 at 10 a.m. and Aug. 26 at 11 a.m.
- Dementia Conversations: Driving, Doctor Visits, Legal & Finance Planning: Aug. 11 at 2 p.m.
- Living with Alzheimer’s: For Caregivers- Late Stage - Part 1: Aug. 11 at 10 a.m. and Part 2: Aug. 12 at 10 a.m.
- COVID-19 and Caregiving - Aug. 12 at 2:00 p.m.
- 10 Warning Signs - Aug. 13 at 12 p.m.
- Living with Alzheimer’s: For Caregivers- Early Stage - Part 1: Aug. 18 at 10 a.m., Part 2: Aug. 19 at 10 a.m. and Part 3: Aug. 20 at 10 a.m.
- Understanding and Responding to Dementia-Related Behaviors - Aug. 19 at 10 a.m. and Aug. 27 at 10 a.m.
- Legal and Financial Planning for Alzheimer’s Disease: Aug. 25 at 10 a.m.
- Early Stage Social Club - Aug. 5 at 1 p.m., Aug. 12 at 1 p.m., Aug. 19 at 1 p.m. and Aug. 26 at 1 p.m.
- The Henry Ford “The Scoop on Ice Cream” - Aug. 11 at 2 p.m.
- The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) “Minds on Art” - Aug. 24 at 12:30 p.m.
- The Detroit Zoo “Virtual Visit to the Reptile House” - Aug. 31 at 1 p.m.
The Alzheimer's Association leads the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia — by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support. Our vision is a world without Alzheimer's and all other dementia.™ For more information, visit www.alz.org or call the 24/7 Helpline at 800.272.3900.