YOU ARE INVITED TO THE 20th ANNUAL MCGINTY CONFERENCE ON ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE.
Tuesday, November 13
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Oregon Convention Center
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
An event for professional and family caregivers, the McGinty Memorial Conference on Alzheimer's disease honors Dean McGinty, MD, a Portland geriatrician, an early advocate for the special needs of those living with dementia and a pioneer in the Alzheimer's family support movement.
Since Dr. McGinty's death in 1995, the Alzheimer's Association Oregon & SW Washington Chapter has honored him with an educational conference dedicated to the principles he practiced throughout his career: providing high-quality, compassionate, family-centered care.
The conference's interactive sessions, motivating speakers and innovative ideas will focus on the many facets of Alzheimer's disease, as well as caregiving, research, communication, life-enhancing activities and person-centered care.
More than 600 participants are expected to attend the 2018 conference. Conference registration cost is $100 for professionals (6.5 CEU credits available) and $50 for students (student registrations are not eligible for CEU credits).
Oregon Care Partners has generously provided a grant for 250 Oregon family caregivers to attend the conference for free. Family caregivers must be Oregon residents. Family caregivers are encouraged to register as soon as possible to take advantage of the free tickets, as they are first come, first serve. (CEU credits will not be provided for family caregiver registrations).
2018 CONFERENCE SCHEDULE OVERVIEW
|2018 McGinty Conference
7:30 - 8:30 a.m.
|8:30 - 9:30 a.m.
Tracy Morgan, executive director, Alzheimer's Association Oregon & SW Washington
"Latest in Research & Clinical Studies"
Dr. Heather Snyder, senior director of Medical and Scientific Operations, Alzheimer's Association
|9:30 - 9:45 a.m.
|9:45 - 11:15 a.m.
Breakout Session A
- A1: Legal and Financial Planning for Alzheimer’s Disease, Garvin Reiter, J.D.
- A2: Mindful Joy, Sunita Vasdev
- A3: Person-Centered Care at the End of Life, Harry Krulewitch, MD
- A4: Exercise and Dementia, Christina Foutch, OTR
|11:15 - 11:30 a.m.
|11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
"Which Way is Up? Mindful Tools for Caregivers and Beyond"
Grace Bullock, Ph.D.
|12:30 - 12:45 p.m.
|12:45 - 2:15 p.m.
Breakout Session B
- B1: Understanding Alzheimer's & Dementia
- B2: The Hero's Journey of the Caregiver, Greg Crosby, M.A., LPC, CGP, FAGPA
- B3: Using Helpers: How to Help Them Help You, Joyce Beedle
- B4: Thriving with Dementia: Tools for Family Members, Benjamin Surmi
|2:15 - 2:30 p.m.
|2:30 - 4 p.m.
Breakout Session C
- C1: Caring for the Caregiver, Marya Kain
- C2: A Brand New Day: Living in the Landscape of This Loss, Georgena Eggleston
- C3: Long Term Care Options: Panel Discussion
- C4: Memory Care in Your Own Home: Use the Same Skills & Techniques the Pros Are Trained to Use, Christy Turner
|4 - 5 p.m.
Home Matters Caregiving
Home Instead Senior Care
Law Offices of Nay & Friedenberg LLC
Oregon Health Care Association
Providence Brain and Spine Institute
The Springs Living
Adeo In Home Care
OHSU Layton Aging and Alzheimer's Disease Center
Pacifica Senior Living