Alzheimer's Association 2014 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures
- Alzheimer's disease is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States.
- More than 5 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's.
- Every 67 seconds, someone in the United States develops Alzheimer's disease.
- In 2013, 15.5 million caregivers provided an estimated 17.7 billion hours of unpaid care valued at more than $220 billion.
- Alzheimer's is the only cause of death among the top 10 in America that cannot be prevented, cured, or even slowed.
- There are approximately 500,000 people dying each year because they have Alzheimer's.
- 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer's or another dementia.
- 170,000 people in Michigan aged 65 or older have Alzheimer's.
- There are about 505,000 caregivers in our state - 12% of seniors.
- These caregivers are providing 575 million hours of unpaid care.
- These unpaid care hours are valued at $7.1 billion.
- $294 million are spent for higher health costs of these caregivers.
- There were 2,736 deaths from Alzheimer's disease in 2010.