In 2008, the Association opened a new door to help support the vibrant Alzheimer's research community. We created the only professional society dedicated to Alzheimer's and dementia: the Alzheimer's Association International Society to Advance Alzheimer's Research and Treatment (ISTAART). ISTAART embraces all areas of Alzheimer's research and welcomes members from fields including biochemistry, genetics, geriatrics, neurology, neuroscience, pathology, pharmacology, psychiatry, psychology, radiology, molecular and cell biology, and the social sciences.
Researchers and clinicians join ISTAART to strengthen their scientific knowledge and network with their peers. Members also enjoy these exclusive benefits:
- Annual online subscription to Alzheimer's & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association (a print subscription is available for $90).
- Free online access to Neurobiology of Aging.
- Discounts on conference registration, session recordings and CME/CE certificates at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference® (AAIC®).
- Special access to member-only receptions, workshops and business meetings.
- Extended deadline for abstract submissions.
- Early access to online registration.
- Opportunity to join or create a Professional Interest Area (PIA). Regularly network and collaborate with other members who share your research or practice interest. Learn more about PIAs.
- Extended LOI deadlines for the Alzheimer's Association International Research Grant Program (IRGP).
- Monthly member e-newsletter featuring science updates and funding sources.
- Opportunity to participate in networking forums, such as LinkedIn.
- Access to the Online Career Center.
Learn more about ISTAART member benefits »
Students and new investigators
The Association recognizes that making advances in combating Alzheimer's relies not only on connecting senior investigators, but also students and those starting their careers in dementia research. ISTAART provides opportunities for students and early-career investigators to network with senior researchers and attend events where some of the latest science is being discussed. For example, ISTAART offers:
- Volunteer opportunities to attend AAIC
- Special workshops for student members at AAIC
- Networking events specific to students
- Participation in Professional Interest Areas
Back to top
Join more than 2,400 ISTAART members from around the globe and be a part of a collegial group focused on Alzheimer's and dementia. Annual ISTAART membership dues are $170 for professionals, $70 for students, and $60 Alzheimer's Association Chapter Staff.
Join now »
The ISTAART Advisory Council is a select group of Alzheimer's and dementia experts representing a variety of research disciplines. Learn more about the Council members here.
Chair, Jeffrey Kaye, M.D.
Vice Chair, Sandra E. Black, M.D., FRCPC
Sylvie Belleville, Ph.D.
Ashley I. Bush, MB BS, DPM, FRANZCP, Ph.D., FTSE
Howard Chertkow, Ph.D.
Steven T. DeKosky, M.D., Immediate Past Chair
Paul T. Francis, Ph.D.
Lutz Frölich, Ph.D.
David Knopman, M.D., MSAC Vice-Chair Liaison
Gil Rabinovici, M.D.
Mary Sano, Ph.D.
Jonathan M. Schott, BSc, M.D., FRCP
Wiesje M. van der Flier, Ph.D.
Next: Partnerships »