Canfield, Ohio – Six out of 10 people with Alzheimer's or another form of dementia will wander. The Alzheimer’s Association is encouraging families to “prepare for the expected,” by signing up for MedicAlert® + Alzheimer’s Association Safe Return®, an identification program that provides peace of mind and informs first responders an individual has memory loss. The program provides 24-hour assistance, no matter when or where the person is reported missing.
Wandering can be dangerous, even life-threatening, and the stress can weigh heavily on caregivers and family.
Those who register through the Greater East Ohio Area Chapter at one of the following events can be set up with free registration.
- Tuesday, May 14th | 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Copeland Oaks, 800 S 15th Street, Sebring, OH 44672
- Tuesday, May 21 l 3pm-7pm Sunrise Assisted Living, 335 West McKinley Way, Poland, OH 44514
- Wednesday, May 22 | 1 p.m.-3:30p.m. Antonine Village and Adult Day, 2675 N. Lipkey Rd., North Jackson, OH 44451
- Tuesday, June 25 | 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. SCOPE Senior Services, Located in the YWCA, 375 N. Park Ave, Warren, OH 44481
- Friday, June 21 | 1 p.m.-4 p.m. East Palestine Memorial Library, 309 N. Market St., East Palestine, OH 44431
Families can find out more or register by contacting the Alzheimer's Association at 234.284.2750. The Alzheimer's Association 24/7 Helpline is also always available to connect caregivers with local services: 800.272.3900.
The Alzheimer's Association leads the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia — by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support. Our vision is a world without Alzheimer's and all other dementia.™ For more information, visit www.alz.org or call the 24/7 Helpline at 800.272.3900.